Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Today was cool.

I really liked today. I went to SPSCC, saw some hot guys, hung out with some really cool people and got to eat lunch at the mall! AND I missed four periods of school. SCORE!

Okay, is it just me, or does it seem like about 99.9% of poetry is written in free verse? I mean, I've been reading some "award winning" poetry online lately, and all I could do was scream "WHY IN GOD'S HOLY FUCKING NAME WAS THAT GIVEN AN AWARD?!" The poem had no meter, had no rhyme scheme... it was basically prose that somebody had chopped up and spaced onto paper! ANYONE can write that! Granted, I shouldn't be judging what "real" poetry is, but still. It annoys me when people put alot of time and effort into their writing and receive the same amount of recognition as the poem that just yelled angrily and uses lots of connotative words. Grr... Contemporary writers sort of piss me off. I apploud them, of course, but I hate the mind set that you can throw something on paper and then publish it and the New York Times will proclaim it a best seller! Have you read some of these so-called best sellers? A lot of them SUCK. (Like Twilight... Stephanie Meyer should NOT have been so successful.)

Well, sorry for that short rant on writers. I just felt that I had to get that out. Oh, one more update! The Google Toolbar at the top doesn't give me money just by searches: you have to click on an ad on the search page (there will be a box with the ads). That's where the income comes from. I did a test run to figure that out! Woohoo!

Wait: there's one more thing. My sister (older sister!) is all like "Russell, why don't you have a boyfriend?" And I found that I couldn't answer her. But you know what: I'll date someone when I find a guy that I actually want to date! I don't want to settle: and I don't want my relationship to be crappy! But... I suppose TALKING to other males wouldn't hurt either. Hm... I don't know. I don't think it's THAT important... but, I guess I should try a little harder though. ;)

2 comments:

Celeste said...

It's probably because you are sooooo AMAZING no one would be good enough. Just throwing that at there ;)

Rhiannon said...

I agree with you, that a lot of free verse is shit (oooh, the first swear word in a comment! score!), and especially free verse that tries to be deep but it so fucking (there's the second) isn't. However, I refute your implied belief that by virtue of its nature rhyming is better (because it's harder?). A lot of rhyming poems get lumped in as being "better" just because they're euphonious and that makes us smile. Doesn't mean they're any more deep or good. And rhyming isn't harder, for the record. Unless you suck.

Orange--door hinge!

In summary: there is talent on both sides of the debate. And where there is talent, there is also suckage, and worst of all, suckage posing as talent.

P.S. daily updates would make me love you even more than I already do, hint hint...