Tuesday, March 24, 2009

In Response to the dating Conflict

Okay, just because someone isn't "intelligent" doesn't mean that they are stupid! It just means that they don't do physics or calculus (things that I don't plan on taking!). There is a little bit of grey area between "retard" and "genius", you know. However, Abbie Fulton pointed out something very important: I think that I have problems with smart who people who BRAG about it constantly. I mean, who wants to be with someone who is always talking about their 4.1 GPA? Not me. I dislike the arrogance and egosim that comes with an intelligent person. It's one thing to be proud if yourself for overachieving and overextending yourslef. It's a completely different thing when you rub your smarts into other people's faces. Finally, I'd like to say this: intelligence is important, but I place more value on traits like... like moral fiber, for lack of a better phrase. I'd rather date a "good" guy, as opposed to a "smart" guy. Oh! One more thing! Evelyn said something about sitting around drooling, if he isn't smart. Not true. I'd rather have a guy who wants to play "Left 4 Dead" with me (which is an awesome game, I might write about it later) or watch dumb chick flicks than sit around and discuss the socio-economic effects of the Korean War on Post-Fifties America. I just might start drooling, because that is BORRRRRING!

This will be a quick (I think) blurb on the A-bombs in Japan. I wanna get this out: I don't think that is was "right" for America to bomb Japan like that. The simultaneous deaths of thousands is never justifiable. I think we should have let them evacuate, or we should have warned them that we had a nuke, or we should have bombed a military installation instead of a civilian city. WE should have done something different. But, I really don't see any other logical choice. If we had assaulted Japan directly, HUNDREDS of thousands of people would have died, both Americans and Japanese. Diplomatic negotiations were useless: Japan had absolutely no intetntion of surrendering. They were going to fight until the very end. And there would have been countless casulties. And, to someone's comment on America entering the war (I think it was Anisa, but it could have been Evelyn or Kayla. I don't remember.), we were forced into conflict. We tried for almost ten years to keep our troops out of the firefights. True, we did offer significant aid to the Allies, but only supplies, not men. Japan attacked first (well, after we embargoed oil and steel. But what were we supposed to do? Give Hitler the supplies he needed to take over the world? I don't think so.). And you can't reason with madmen: Hitler wasn't about to abandon his scheme for world domination, just someone asked nicely. And you couldn't take the moral high ground here. "War isn't right. It's not right to be part of something that kills people." Sure, that sounds nice. But honestly, hoping that mankind will reach a permanent peace of any kind is pure sophistry. If we hadn't participated in WWII, Europe would have collaspsed. Britain might have lost as well. Then, it would have just been us, praying for peace, against three world powers. If America had lost itself in vaunted righteousness, forever doing the "right" thing, I don't think that all of us would be here. If we had held our noses high and pursued a path of moral correctness... things might have been horrible. Sometimes, the "right" thing to do requires a little moral flexibility. Thievery is wrong, but we still admire Robin Hood. "Spreading the wealth" is only fair to the poor, not to the rich, some of whom toiled and worked for their fortunes. It was not "right" to detonate those bombs. But I think that, in the long run, it saved more lives than frontal warfare, diplomatic attempts, and stubborn pacifism would have. Honestly, I think life would be easier if China ruled the world: if we all think and act the same, there wouldn't be any more war. But, then we wouldn't be human anymore, would we? Conflict is human. We argue, we fight, and we disagree. But this is not necessarily bad: through conflict and hardship, we grow. And I think that humanity has a lot of growing to do.

Geez, that was much longer than I thought it was going to be. I guess that's all for tonight.

OH! BIG NEWS! I MADE $0.38 TODAY! My first earnings for this blog! I'm so excited! I don't think know if I am allowed to say this but, if you get a chance, just click on an ad when you're done reading! It adds to my click count which gets money! (I think that's how it works...) It's quick, only takes a second (you're here anyways, why not get a laugh for clicking on the tatoo removal add?) and it helps me! Thanks a bunch for reading! I know there's only like five or six of you, but it still means a lot!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally just contributed a hopeful $1.52. Maybe but you never know. Thanks for the shoutout! And I think I am right. Arrogance is a turn off as is continual talking about Korea. I prefer a happy medium. A guy screaming "oh God" in bed is better than you screaming it and the guy stopping to discuss the conformistness of organized religion. Toodles!

Rhiannon said...

Well, I still haven't read the chapter (I haven't seriously read since...oh, chapter 34, I guess), but your reasoning sounds...well, reasonable. There are rarely straightforward decisions in war (Hitler = bad! America = good! Soviet infantry = mhmm!).

As to intelligence: honestly, I just like them as smart as they come. I want them to be well-rounded, not nerdy about it, but yeah, I want a guy who knows all about Korea, and knows just where exactly French Guyana is on a map, and its capital, and its socioeconomic and geopolitical struggles. Intelligence is such a turn-on. And think of the children: my husband better be smarter than me, so we can have genius offspring!! Also, I don't rock at math or science, so he's got to pick up the slack there, and we'll be the greatest power couple ever. Oh, and my beau and myself will *not* watch chick flicks together. Just a thing.

Anisa said...

I agree with Rhiannon mostly, except that I think Russian infantry men can pretty much be summed up in "mhmmmmmmm...." and maybe some lip-licking.....
As for the whole peace v. war thing.... I need to stop fighting with people over peace (it totally disproves my poing!!) so I will yell at you in person...
Men should be smart! what else are the good for except arguing with!! and if I am going to argue with some one, it had better be a good argument, so I want them smart! (and cute...)
oh, and I'm very ashamed that you are selling yourself, but glad that you are making some money of of it...